Frequently Asked Questions

In what order will the applications be processed?
Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The City will maintain a written summary of the order in which applications are received and approved.

Approximately how long will it take to review my application?
The application and verification process is expected to take up to 30 days or more.

Who will contact me after I apply?
A BBHH staff member will help you through the application and verification process. You will also be required to meet with a BBHH home advocate and construction administrator.

Who will evaluate my property and determine how it can be made more resilient?
A BBHH inspector will visit and assess your home or property for eligible construction activities. You will receive a summary of the proposed activities, and if you decide to proceed, the same inspector will request bids for the project from local sub-contractors.

Do I have to implement all of the recommended improvements?
Generally, yes. Completing all of the recommended construction activities will give your home or property the best chance for flood resilience. If the property owner has objections, those objections will be handled on a case-by-case basis and worked out in a way that satisfies the grant requirements.

Who will choose the contractor?
The construction administrator will choose the lowest responsible bid that meets production schedule requirements.
How soon can I expect construction to begin after the contract has been awarded?
The construction schedule will be dependent on the scope of work, readiness of the unit, the contractor’s schedule, weather, and overall grant production milestones.

Will I have to pay anything out of pocket for construction?

How much money can I expect might be spent on my property?
There is no minimum or maximum amount to be spent per unit. Please note, some properties will be more vulnerable than others and will therefore require more work. The grant has budgeted an average of $15,067 to be spent per unit.

What happens if I’m concerned about the contractor’s quality of work?
If you are unhappy with the quality of work being performed at your home or property, we ask that you contact your construction administrator so we may address your concerns.

What is a forgivable loan?
Forgivable loans require borrowers to fulfill certain responsibilities and adhere to certain restrictions if the money they owe is going to be forgiven. Failure to meet the terms of the forgivable loan contract will mean the borrower will have to repay what he/she borrowed.