Solar Thermal Licenses and Permits
Solar Thermal Licensing
A Solar Thermal License is required to install a solar thermal project at a home or business.
A person can obtain a Solar Thermal License one of two ways:
- Be NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners) Solar Thermal Certified, or
- Successfully complete NICC's (Northeast Iowa Community College) Solar Thermal training
Solar Thermal Permitting
To acquire a Solar Thermal Permit, an application must include:
- Business name, if applicable
- Solar Thermal License Number, if applicable
- Project Address
- Plot plan showing the proposed location of the collector(s) and any tree or structure that presently cast a shadow within 20 feet of the collector(s).
- Detailed drawings of all piping, pumps, blowers, wiring, storage vessels, dampers, valves, insulation, location of the backflow prevention device and all other material need to install the system.
- Any other information required by the Building Services Department to properly review the proposal.