Academic Reading Tutor AmeriCorps Member
2017-2018 School Year
Part-Time Contract Dates: 450 hours: August 13, 2018 – May 3, 2019 (Average of 12-15 hours per week)
Part-Time Salary: Living allowance of $3,500 ($184.21 every 2 weeks) & Education award of $1,538.36*
Full-Time Contract Dates: 900 hours: August 13, 2018 – May 3, 2019 (Average of 28-32 hours per week)
Full-Time Salary: Living allowance of $7,000 ($368.42 every 2 weeks) & Education award of $2,907.50*
Opening Date: May 15, 2018 Closing Date: August 1, 2018
Description: AmeriCorps members provide one on one or small group reading interventions to K-3rd grade students at an elementary school in Dubuque.
Examples of Duties:
1. Assist students individually or in small groups in the area of reading.
2. Develop a relationship with teachers and staff to foster a positive learning environment.
3. Collaborate with school staff in monitoring and recording student performance and behavior.
4. Research, plan and prepare and implement reading interventions for specific students.
5. Participate in service projects outside of the assigned placement.
6. Attend AmeriCorps mandatory, monthly trainings.
- Desire to work with children; experience working with children a plus.
- Applicant must be creative, energetic, dependable and a self-starter.
- Must be competent in reading. No formal training necessary, all relative experiences are valid. Must be a role model for students.
- Applicant must have reliable transportation.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant must pass three-part Criminal History Background Check because of reoccurring access to vulnerable populations.
Available shifts: The 450 hour position requires at least 12 hours a week, M-F during the school day hours. (Morning hours preferred and at least 3 days per week.) Applicants can determine their hours and days within the weekly hour requirements and school day time frame. Some hours may occur outside of the school day hours. The 900 hour position requires at least 25 hours a week, M-F during the school day hours. (Morning hours preferred and at least 4 days per week.) Applicants can determine their hours and days within the weekly hour requirements and school day time frame. Some hours may occur outside of the school day hours.
Supplemental Information: An equal employment opportunity employer.
*AmeriCorps member will receive education award in the form of an electronic payment through myamericorpgs.gov. Education award may be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions or qualified student loans. Members who are 55+ years of age can transfer award to child or grandchild under specific conditions.
Paper applications available here.
The following positions available are: