Special Projects Grant

Applications for FY 2023 Special Projects grant funding will be accepted online through 11:59 p.m. on Friday, May 13, 2022. 

Through this program, the City of Dubuque provides grant funds to cultivate unique and innovative creative arts and culture experiences that prioritize community engagement and active partnership in which all parties may experience change and growth. Special projects must incorporate DEI into the development and execution of the project and demonstrate alignment with goals and priorities of the City of Dubuque's Arts and Culture Master Plan.

ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS

  • Dubuque-based organizations who operate as a nonprofit, tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of IRS Organizations;
  • Dubuque-based groups with their own specific mission, governing structure and budget, operating under the incorporated status of a Dubuque-based fiscal agent;
  • Established Dubuque-based groups operating in service to the broader community but not incorporated as a nonprofit or operating under a fiscal agent.
  • Only 1 application per eligible applicant will be accepted; an applicant can be identified as a partnering entity within another application but that application can not be for the same project.

INELIGIBLE APPLICANTS

  •  For-profit organizations or businesses; 
  • Individual artists; 
  • Any organization or group based outside of Dubuque city limits; 
  • An organization with an outstanding Final Report associated with previous grant awards from FY21 or prior Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs funding opportunities.

 FUNDING GUIDELINES

  •  Minimum Request: $1,000 
  • Maximum Request: $8,000 
  • 1:1 match required. Applicants must demonstrate investment in a project by providing one-to-one matching funds to the grant request for project expenses. A quarter (25%) of the required 1:1 match must be cash. The remaining 75% may be either in-kind or cash, or a combination. For example, an applicant that requests $1,000 in grant funds must have at least $1,000 in matching funds with $250 of that made up of cash match expenses for a minimum total project budget of $2,000.

TIMELINE

The Arts and Culture Special Projects grant program has nurtured diversity, inclusion, and accessibility through arts and culture events and programs since 2005. The program is funded through through the City's general fund budget that is developed, reviewed, and approved annually.

By offering Operating Support funding, the City Council supports their goal to provide 'Diverse Arts, Culture, Parks, and Recreation Experiences and Activities' and to foster 'Partnership for a Better Dubuque' as well as helping the community realize recommendations of Dubuque's Imagine Dubuque Comprehensive Plan that foster Social + Cultural Vibrancy.


Contact Us

  1. Jenni Petersen-Brant  |  email
    Arts and Cultural Affairs Coordinator
    Phone: 563.690.6059

    Economic Development Office
    City Hall Annex
    1300 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001

    Hours
    Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Follow Us on Social Media
    facebookinstagram