Segal Education Award

Segal Education Award Amounts by CNCS Fiscal Year

Contract Size FY 2019 (10/1/2018 - 9/30/2019) FY 2020 (10/1/2019 - 9/30/2020)
Full Time (1700 Hours) $6,095.00 $6,195.00
Three Quarter Time (1200 Hours) $4,266.50 $4,336.50
Half Time (900 hours) $3,047.50 $3,097.50
Reduced Half Time (675 Hours) $2,321.90 $2,360.00
Quarter Time (450 Hours) $1,612.43 $1,638.89
Minimum Time (300 Hours) $1,289.95 $1,311.11

Details on Segal Education award amounts can be found at here.


A monetary reward gifted by the Corporation of National and Community Service when an AmeriCorps member fully completes his or her term of service successfully. This award can be used to repay qualified student loans or to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher learning. The education award may be used up to seven years after the term of service has ended. Members at least 55 years of age at the beginning of their term of service may choose to transfer their education award to a child, grandchild or foster child. AmeriCorps members are eligible to receive an education award upon completion of their term of service. The Education Award can be used to pay for all or part of the cost of attending an institution of higher education and for qualified existing or future student loans.There are general terms that guide the use of the award and a process to follow to access your funds. The award is subject to taxes.

Key Factors: 
  • Education Award is received upon completion of AmeriCorps Term
  • Can be held for 7 years
  • Can pay past federal student loans or current/ future educational expenses*
  • Can be transferred to a child, foster child or grandchild for educational expenses for individuals 55 and older
  • View the Guide
  • Your education award and interest payments are considered taxable income. Some states including Iowa have an expection to this. Here is more information on Iowa and Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. 
​*Educational expenses (current or future) that can be paid include:
  • The "Cost of Attendance" (COA) for a degree- or certificate-granting program of study at a Title IV school. The COA may include tuition, books and supplies, transportation, room and board, and other expenses. Each Title IV school's financial aid office determines their students’ COA based upon standard U.S. Department of Education guidance. 
  • Educational expenses for non-degree courses, such as continuing education courses or workshops offered by Title IV schools. Educational expenses that can be paid normally include tuition & fees, books, and supplies, as determined by the school’s administrative office.
  • Courses or training programs authorized under the Montgomery G.I. Bill and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. These courses and programs have been approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for GI Bill educational benefits. The educational institutions or training establishments that offer these courses and training programs will have a VA-approved Certifying Official who can determine eligible expenses.

How to use your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award

You can view your education award balance and make payments on your account. After the successful completion of your AmeriCorps term, the funds will become available for your educational expenses past or present up to 7 years. 
1. Log into your account
You created this account when you first became a member. 
Hint: the passwords are very long and require uppercase letter, lowercase letter, numbers, symbols, and must be at least 12 characters long. 

​2. Click on "My Education Award" 
From this account you can 1) Create education award payments, 2) Request loan forbearance, 3) Pay off accrued interest



As an AmeriCorps Member, you have the option of placing your federally backed student loans into forbearance. This means for the 11 months, you are an AmeriCorps member, you will not have to pay any amount on your federal student loans.  This does not work on private loans. You will have to repeat this process for each loan provider. ​

  • Click on “Create Forbearance Request”
  • Choose your "service term"
  • Click “search institution”
    • Here you will need to know the address and name of your loan holder.  An example is many federal loans are held with "Federal Loan Servicing" in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. 
    • It helps to put your loan account number in the comment box.
  • Submit request, but ensure you only click once. 
  • To check your request status, go back to your “My Education Award” page. The loan holders have the option of accepting or rejecting and they will put their decision in the comment box attached to the request. 



  • Click on “Create Education Award Payment Request”
  • Select "Education Expenses" or "Loan Payment"
  • Select the amount you wish to sent
  • “Search Institution”
    • For past loans, this is your loan provider
    • For future education, this is your school
  • Click "Certify and Submit"
Helpful Hints
  • This payment is considered taxable income. At the end of the year you will receive a 1099 misc form by mail and on your account. 
  • You have 7 years to use the award.
  • Any amount of payment sent to loan providers is considered future payments if not specified. So if you pay $1500 and your loan payment is $300 monthly, the loan company will assume you are making 5 payments in advance. If you are wanting to pay directly on the principal, you will need to contact the loan provider and let them know how to allocate those funds they received.
  • If paying for education expenses like future tuition, call your financial aid office at your school. The education award payment is split in two. One half at the beginning of the year and one half in the middle of the semester. 


Interest will continue to accrue on your loans while they are in forbearance. When the member successfully completes the term of service and the loan is a qualified student loan, the National Service Trust will pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued during the service period.

*This payment is considered taxable income. At the end of the year you will receive a 1099 misc form by mail and on your account. 

  • Click on “Create Interest Payment Request”
  • Select "Service Term"
  • “Search for your institutions". These will be the same institutions you had in forbearance.  You must know the name and address of your loan provider.
  • Providing your account number in the comments section is helpful
  • Click submit ONCE
  • To check your request status, go back to your “My Education Award” page. The loan holders have the option of accepting or rejecting and they will put their decision in the comment box attached to the request. 



These are the steps the person who is transferring the award—the transferor—should follow.

If you have an award that is eligible to be transferred, you can initiate a request online to transfer your award by following these steps:

  1. Have the necessary information available about the person to whom you plan to transfer the award—the individual’s first and last names, relationship, Social Security Number, date of birth, street address, and email address, if the person has one.
  2. Log into your account in MyAmeriCorps.
  3. On your Home page click on “My Education Award” in the left sidebar. If an award qualifies for a transfer, an option called “Create Award Transfer Request” will be displayed.
  4. Select the term of service, if there is more than one, and enter the transfer amount.
  5. Enter the recipient’s information that is required. Read the Certification paragraph and, if you agree to it, click on the “Submit” button.
  6. If the eligible recipient . . .
  • is already an AmeriCorps member and accepts the award online through MyAmeriCorps, the transferred amount can be added to the recipient’s existing account.  The recipient should look for a link at the top of his or her home page to accept or deny the transfer offer.

  • has an email address the system will automatically forward an email to that person with the request to transfer the award.  The email will contain a link to an online form “Award Transfer Accept/Decline Form". You should not click on “print acceptance form”.  That is only for a recipient who does not have an email address.  Sending the acceptance form both electronically and by paper can cause a delay in the processing of the transfer.

  • does not have an email address, check the box.  After you submit the transfer request, you will be able to click on “print acceptance form” that allows you to print the form and mail it to the recipient.  The recipient should complete that form and return it to the National Service Trust for processing.

Generally, the request will expire after 30 days if it is not accepted or declined. However, the transferor may re-transfer the award after the request to transfer has expired.  The transferor may also cancel the transfer request before it is accepted. A transferor might cancel a request for many reasons.  Two examples are “an incorrect amount was entered” or “the recipient’s information was incorrect”.

While the request to transfer an award is pending, meaning the recipient has not yet accepted the transfer, the system will prevent the transferor from accessing the amount being transferred.

The Trust monitors and facilitates each transfer.


These are the steps an individual who has been offered a transferred award--the recipient--should follow.  There are several possible scenarios for accepting or declining a transferred award request.

  • If the recipient is already an AmeriCorps member and accepts or declines the transfer request online through MyAmeriCorps:
  1. After the transferor submits a transfer request using MyAmeriCorps, a link will appear at the top of the recipient’s Home Page that states: “You have an award transfer request from (transferor’s name). Click here to accept or decline.”
  2. The recipient must decide if he or she wants to accept the award in full, accept a portion of the award, or decline the award.
  3. If accepted, the transferred amount will be added to his or her existing account.  The amount will be available for immediate use.
  • If the proposed recipient has an email address and it was provided when the transfer was requested:
  1. The recipient will receive an email notification stating that the transferor wishes to transfer all or part of an education award.  The email explains that the request will expire in 30 days if no action is taken on the request. The email contains a link to a screen where the recipient can enter information that will verify his or her identity and clicks on “submit”.
  2. When the recipient’s identity has been verified, an Accept or Decline Award Transfer Offer form appears.  The recipient completes “Part B:  Recipient Information”, which includes name and contact information.  It also asks whether the recipient would like to accept the award in full, accept in part, or decline the award.  The recipient will enter an amount if the award is accepted in part.
  3. The recipient will certify and submit the electronic form.  If the recipient accepts the transfer request, in whole or in part, a screen will appear where the recipient can create a secure account in MyAmeriCorps.  The recipient will create a User Name and Password which will be used to access his or her account in order to request a payment from the education award.
  4. Using the secure login information that was created, the recipient can log into his or her account’s Home Page in MyAmeriCorps to become familiar with the site.  The award will be available for immediate use.
  • If the proposed recipient does not currently have an email address:
  1. The proposed recipient will receive an “Accept/Decline Award Transfer Form” that the transferring individual has printed and sent.  At this time, the recipient will need to create an email address in order to establish the recipient’s account in My AmeriCorps.
  2. The recipient verifies information already on the form and completes missing information, including the new email address.  The recipient should read the certification paragraph and, if he or she agrees to it, sign the form and send it to the National Service Trust at the address on the form.
  3. The Trust will send an email to the proposed recipient’s email address that is provided on the form. The email will have a link to the MyAmeriCorps registration/login page and instructions on how to register.
  4. The recipient should register and log into his or her account to review the information and to become familiar with navigating the site.  The award will be available for immediate use.

When a recipient accepts/or declines a transferred award, an email notification is sent to the transferor stating the action that was taken by the recipient.

Education Award Limitations

AmeriCorps Members can serve a maximum of four terms and earn the value of two full-time education awards. Full-time, half-time and quarter-time terms of service each count as one term of service. Generally, if a Member is released for cause before completing the complete term of service and does not receive an education award, that term of service counts as a term served.

The education award is issued in the form of a certificate to a qualified entity, such as a school or loan holder. The National Service Trust does not make payments to individuals.

If a Member withdraws from the school at which the education award was used, the school may be required to refund the Trust. If any refund is owed, it is credited to your education award “account,” and is subject to the award’s original expiration date (seven years from the date the award was earned). For general information on how withdrawing from school may affect your student financial aid, ask your financial aid counselor. Under certain circumstances, you can use the education award to study outside the US Contact the National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677 for further information.