Pets in Parks & on Trails
Pet Friendly Parks and Trails
Leashed dogs and cats are allowed in certain locations. Click here for a map of parks and/or trails that are pet friendly where dogs and cats are allowed on leash. Dogs are allowed off leash in the Pet Park located on North Grandview Avenue. Municipal citations will be issued to anyone with a pet in a park or on a trail where they are not permitted.
Dubuque’s 2.5-acre Pet Park is located on North Grandview Avenue adjacent to Bunker Hill Golf Course. (Click here for map of city park locations.) The park is fenced and offers separate areas for large and small dogs. The park is to provide space where dogs can exercise and socialize with other dogs. Dogs can play off-leash in the Pet Park. Owners and their dogs should expect frequent interactions with other people or dogs at the park. Please keep barking to a minimum in respect to the Pet Park neighbors. People and pets enter at their own risk. The City of Dubuque is not responsible for the actions of people or their pets. Amenities include; waste bags and disposal containers on site, people and pet drinking fountain, and benches.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Daily fee - $1.00 (self-registration station at park)
Resident annual pass $25.00 per pet (residents reside inside the City of Dubuque city limits)
Non-resident annual pass $35.00 per pet (non-residents reside outside the City of Dubuque city limits)
Annual passes are valid from May 1st of the current year through April 30th of the following year.
Click here to download a season pass application form from the website and bring it in person to the Park and Recreation office at Bunker Hill Golf Course, along with your driver’s license for proof of residency. Annual passes are a small metal tag with individual number that must be worn on dog’s collar.
Passes are available at a 50% discount for low income City of Dubuque residents but must be purchased at the Leisure Services Department office, 2200 Bunker Hill Road, between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday thru Friday. Appropriate identification and current benefits card must be presented, or an income declaration form must be completed.
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by their dog(s).
- Owners must remain within the fenced area at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed prior to entering and upon leaving the area. Gates to the area must remain closed at all times.
- Owners must immediately clean up after their dogs. Failure to do so can result in a fine up to $750.
- Dogs with known history of, or who exhibit dangerous behavior are prohibited.
- Dogs must be healthy, fully immunized, de-wormed, and wearing license and rabies tags.
- An adult must accompany children under 14; young children must be closely supervised.
- Puppies under four months old and female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- Only two dogs per adult are allowed.
- Dogs must be watched at all times.
- Cooperation between dog owners is essential.
- Enter at your own risk.