Vehicle Burglary Prevention Tips
Contacts: Lieutenant Joe Messerich, (563) 589-4473
Assistant Chief Jeremy Jensen, (563) 589-4444
With the arrival of the holiday shopping season, many of us will be leaving our vehicles unattended in larger parking lots while we shop, eat, catch a movie, or workout at the gym. We have taken a few reports of vehicle burglaries recently where the suspect broke out a side window and stole a purse or a bag while the vehicle was parked in a parking lot. Please be vigilant and practice these vehicle burglary prevention tips when parking your car.
• Make sure your vehicle’s doors are locked and the windows are secured.
• Never leave your vehicle running and unattended with the keys inside.
• Never leave an unsecured firearm in a parked vehicle.
• Do not leave valuables in a vehicle. If you must, at least hide them from public view. Purses, bags, and electronics laying out make a vehicle an attractive target.
• If possible, park in well-lit areas.
• Contact the Police immediately if you find your vehicle was burglarized. Contact your financial institution or credit card company as soon as possible if any credit/debit cards or checks were stolen.
• Consider removing your garage door opener from your vehicle when leaving it unattended.
Please report suspicious activity to the police. If you have any information on this incident or others, please call the Dubuque Police Department at 563-589-4415 or Crime Stoppers at 800-747-0117 or 563-588-0714 (if the information leads to an arrest, the caller is eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000). You can also submit tips anonymously online at www.cityofdubuque.org/police or through the MyDBQ smartphone app available at www.cityofdubuque.org/MyDBQ.