Craigslist Rental Scam
Lieutenant Ted McClimon, (563)589-4473
Assistant Chief Jeremy Jensen (563) 589-4444
July 23, 2020 -- For Immediate Release
DUBUQUE, Iowa – The Dubuque Police Department has recently taken reports of a Craigslist scam involving rental properties. The scammers will post pictures of actual rental properties on Craigslist or a similar webpage claiming it as their property to rent. When the scammers receive inquiries about the property they often ask for personal information or security deposits before showing the property to the prospective tenant. The scammers request the money be sent via methods such as wire transfer, money order, Western Union, or prepaid credit cards.
Please view the below link for additional details on rental scams.https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0079-rental-listing-scams
Here are a few additional points to remember.
- Do not give out personal information before viewing the property.
- No legitimate business, property owner, or property manager will use gift cards as a form of payment.
- A request to send money via a money transfer service is a common sign of a scam.
- Do not make payments before viewing the property.
- Always verify the owner of the property.
If you have any information on this incident or others, please call the Dubuque Police Department at 563-589-4415 or Crime Stoppers at 800-747-0117 or 563-588-0714 (if the information leads to an arrest, the caller is eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000). You can also submit tips anonymously online at www.cityofdubuque.org/police or through the MyDBQ smartphone app available at www.cityofdubuque.org/MyDBQ.
# # #