Erosion & Sediment Control Permit

Uncontrolled erosion and the lack of sediment controls on a construction site can result in sediment leaving the site. This pollutant can negatively impact water quality in downstream creeks, rivers, and ultimately the Gulf of Mexico.

Recognizing this fact, and in order for the City to comply with the federal Clean Water Act, the City adopted an Erosion & Sediment Control Ordinance requiring that before any construction activity that results in an acre or more of land-disturbing activity (or bare soil) can begin, an Erosion & Sediment Control Permit (ESC Permit) is required. 

Construction activity smaller than an acre may also require permit coverage if they are part of a larger common plan of development or sale, are required to be covered by an NPDES permit. Sometimes individual lots, smaller than an acre, are required to obtain permit coverage prior to construction.

Sediment Discharge Into Mississippi

Sediment discharge into the Mississippi River from the Catfish Creek.

Sediment Discharge Into Bee Branch

Sediment discharge into the Bee Branch Creek.

Process of Obtaining a City ESC Permit 

While some of the steps can be done concurrently, generally the following steps must be completed in order.

  • A post-construction plan is developed and approved;
  • A Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPP) is developed by an engineer or other qualified professional;
  • NPDES General Permit No. 2 coverage is obtained from the Iowa DNR. As outlined in their How to File a Complete Notice of Intent, Iowa law requires public notice in the local newspaper. Following publication, a Notice of Intent can be submitted or completed online on the Iowa DNR GP2 website;
  • The Iowa DNR grants authorization to proceed under the state GP2;
  • A completed City of Dubuque ESC permit application, along with the permit fee, is submitted to Deron Muehring in City Engineering. The permit fee can be paid by check or over the phone by credit card by calling 563.589.4270.
  • Once the SWPP is approved by the City, the ground-disturbing activity is authorized.