Already applied this month for a Housing Choice Voucher? Click here to check your status on the Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List.
Housing Choice Voucher
Voucher applications are open monthly for 24-hours on the second Tuesday of each month from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM. Each month, all applications received on the second Tuesday are placed in a random lottery selection for placement on a waiting list. The City maintains a HCV waiting list that is roughly the number of Vouchers they plan to award in the next 3 months. Monthly applications that were not selected for the waiting list in the lottery are deleted and must reapply again.
Moderate Rehabilitation Program
This small legacy HUD program provides Income-eligible applicants get assistance for 10 specific 1-bedroom units and 4 specific 2-bedroom units. Applications are accepted any time for this program, but turnover in the program has historically been very low. The current wait list for the Moderate Rehabilitation Program is over 1,000.
Seniors and persons with disabilities that are income-eligible applicants may receive rental assistance at 17 specific units located at the Rose of Dubuque, an assisted living facility at 3390 Lake Ridge Drive. Applications accepted at all times for this program.
- Voucher Payment Standards/Income Guidelines
- Housing Choice Voucher Home Ownership brochure - if you have a Housing Choice Voucher and want to become a homeowner, the City and HUD can assist you so that instead of payments going to a landlord, your assistance payments go to your mortgage lender.
Helpful Links for Finding a HCV Rental Unit in Dubuque
- Vacant Unit Listing - updated monthly by City Housing & Community Development staff
- Telegraph Herald - free online newspaper rental classifieds
- Iowa Housing Search - Iowa's free rental housing locator
- Greater Dubuque Development Corp - Housing Resources
- Realtor.com - rentals listed through a realtor
- Facebook Marketplace - no login required
- Dubuque Advertiser - online classifieds