How can I request a trash cart?

Requests for carts or changes to your curbside collection service, including trash, recycling, and yard waste/food scraps can now be made using this online request or call the Public Works Department at 563.589.4250.

The City of Dubuque uses a pay-as-you throw program in which customers pay according to how much trash they set out. Prices are available in the chart below. Unlimited curbside recycling is available at no charge.

The City of Dubuque is standardizing to all City-issued carts to provide a streamlined and more efficient trash collection, while improving the safety of our collection crews. 

Click image to enlarge

Right Size Your Cart

City-issued tipper carts are complimentary for customers. 

Four monthly subscription options are available to best fit the needs of the customer.

Use this helpful "Rightsize Your Cart" graphic for assistance.

Subscription OptionMonthly FeeSetout LimitCart Dimensions
35 gal. cart (provided by the City) - also known as Basic Service$15.83112 lbs.38.25" H x 19.75" W x 23.75" D
48 gal. cart (provided by the City)$17.72168 lbs.37.5" H x 23.5" W x 28.75" D
64 gal. cart (provided by the City)$21.25224 lbs.41.75" H x 24.25" W x 31.5" D
96 gal. cart (provided by the City)$29.84335 lbs. 43.5" H x 29.75" W x 35.5" D

Single-Use Sticker for Excess Trash

Used for extra bags or smaller items, weighing less than 40 lbs. that do not fit in a cart.  Available in sheets of five ($7.50) at area grocery, discount, and hardware stores, and at Utility Billing in City Hall at 50 W. 13th Street.

For further information or a subscription, call the Public Works Department at (563) 589-4250. 

Non-complying containers and set outs will be tagged by crews and left uncollected.

If there is a physical or medical reason, or an issue with the terrain of a customer's property, an exemption to using the City-issued carts will be considered.  Download an exemption form.

L to R: 96-gal., 64-gal., 48-gal., 35-gal.


Do I need to buy the cart? 

No. The cart is free. The monthly curbside collection fee for each cart size are listed in the chart above.

Will my monthly utility bill go up?

If you currently subscribe to basic service (one 35-gallon can or bag) the 35-gallon cart is the same price. If you need to increase your capacity to a larger cart, three more cart sizes are available.  Pricing is available in the chart above.  Assistance with monthly utility bills is available to income-qualified residents. 

How will I get my cart? 

Carts delivery began in April 2023, and most customers received their carts at that time.  If you have not yet received your cart, the City is awaiting additional inventory and will finish delivering carts when inventory is replenished. If you are a basic service subscriber (35-gallon can) and you have not yet received a cart, you will automatically receive a 35-gallon cart unless we hear from you that you'd prefer a different size.  You may request a different cart size online or call 563-589-4250. If you request a cart larger than 35 gallons you will receive it over the summer of 2023 when supplies become available, and you can continue to use your current trash container until the new cart is delivered. 

What are the dimensions of the carts? 

The dimensions of each cart is listed in the table on the table above.

What should I do with my old garbage can? 

Residents are encouraged to repurpose their old garbage cans whenever possible. Possible uses include storage for yard and garden equipment, compost, rainwater collection, storage for pet supplies, sports equipment, or firewood. Crews will dispose of your can at no charge if you set it out on your normal collection day mark it “TAKE.”

Can I keep my yellow recycling bin(s)?

Yes. Only trash carts are being standardized. If you wish to increase your recycling capacity, you can submit an online request or call 563-589-4250 to receive a 96-gallon recycling cart at no charge.

Do I need to use a garbage bag inside the cart? 

Liners are not required in the cart, but throwing loose trash into the carts is highly discouraged.  Loose trash can blow around and leads to litter.  All trash placed in the cart must be bagged and the bag must be tied.

What if I am physically unable to wheel a cart or if my property's terrain doesn't allow it?

If there is a physical or medical reason, or an issue with the terrain of a customer's property, an exemption to using the City-issued carts will be considered.  Download an exemption form.

Refuse Credit

A customer may be eligible for refuse credit if their property is vacant for a minimum of 2 months. A refuse credit form must be completed and submitted prior to or at the onset of the vacancy and must be completed annually.


Some customers who meet income guidelines may qualify for up to a 50% monthly discount on fees.  Learn more and apply through Utility Billing.